Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ancestors

My dad sent me an email today with some information on my ancestors.
My grandpa is Wayne.
My great grandpa is Ross.
My great great grandpa is John.
My great great great grandpa is - yeah, get this - Orange Peel Tucker.
Now if that doesn't make an Arkansas girl feel like a hick, I don't know what will.

The info that was in the email was fascinating. Orange was full blood Cherokee and was adopted by a "well to do white man" and didn't know his original last name. According to records, he killed his Captain in the military during the Civil War because they cut off his pigtail (or ponytail), which had been an Indian sign of manhood. He was tried and convicted, but before he could be executed, his adoptive father intervened and saved him. He went on to live until he was an old man and had a ton of kids and it was noted that he was a farmer that couldn't read or write.

Interesting.

No comments: